If you’ve never inquired about your grandparents’ Halloween attire, you’re missing out! While old photographs may seem stiff and formal, you might stumble upon fantastic ideas for vintage Halloween costumes, hidden within your ancestors’ memories.
Today, many people invest considerable time and money in their Halloween costumes, but our grandparents and great-grandparents often crafted costumes the traditional way – with their hands and meticulous care.
Below, you’ll discover a delightful array of vintage costumes, ranging from authentically eerie to charmingly cute or delightfully silly. Whether you’re seeking costume ideas or simply indulging in some Halloween nostalgia, we hope you enjoy these unearthed treasures from FamilySearch Memories!
- 18th Century Vintage Costumes, circa 1900
- Embrace the essence of vintage with costumes straight out of the 1700s. If you have an affinity for colonial and old European styles, you’ll admire the dedication of this couple, who donned authentically vintage Halloween costumes around 1900. These outfits graced Halloween parties and masquerade balls with their delightful authenticity.
- Prize-Winning Costumes, 1920s
- When you go all out with your Halloween costume, rewards are in order. In the 1920s, these two ladies earned accolades for their meticulously crafted costumes. Bedecked in avian splendor and portraying “Night” itself, each showcases her creativity and attention to detail.
- Vintage Little Bo Peep, 1914 and circa 1975
- Opting for a vintage look doesn’t mean bidding farewell to childhood favorites. The Little Bo Peep costume on the left was handcrafted for a young girl in 1914. With its lace-up bodice, ornate collar, and sleeves, it harks back to the nursery rhyme’s origins (dating back to the 16th century). On the right, you’ll find a more modern but still vintage interpretation. This checkered-clad couple attended a party as Little Bo Peep and her sheep around 40 years ago.
- Cute Vintage Costumes for Kids, circa 1900, 1930, and 1970
- Seeking inspiration from the past for adorable kids’ costumes? Here are some charming options we discovered. The image featuring a wagon dates back to the 1900s and captures a group of neighborhood kids on Halloween. Dressed as soldiers, police officers, fairies, or toys, these children are undeniably cute!
- Witch Costumes, 1911, 1946, and circa 1950
- Witches throughout the decades boast unique looks. While pointy hats are a common sight, they’re not always obligatory. Women from the 1910s, 1940s, and 1950s likely relished the opportunity to craft their own bewitching Halloween attire.
- Clown Costumes, circa 1914, 1920, 1930, 1934, 1952
- What’s the recipe for a vintage clown costume? It should be whimsical, baggy, and endearing, with a touch of humor. If you’re tired of the typical clown costumes you encounter in your neighborhood on Halloween, take a gander at these endearing vintage ensembles from the past. Besides, who needs face paint when your toddler already has irresistibly dimpled cheeks?
- Vintage Costume from the Teens, circa 1950
- If you fancy pinstripes and desire a truly vintage look, look no further. This stylish couple exudes sophistication in their costumes reminiscent of the 1910s, or the “teens.” Don’t they bear a striking resemblance to Harold and Marian from “The Music Man”?
- Pirate Costumes, 1953 and 1982
- There’s something timeless and quintessentially Halloween about donning a pirate-themed costume. With pirates spanning centuries of history, it’s no wonder these boys chose to embrace pirate personas in the 1950s and 1980s. Who knows, perhaps your grandparents once sailed the Halloween seas as swashbucklers too!
- Mickey and Minnie Mouse, circa 1970
- For our grand finale in vintage Halloween costumes, we present a classic that combines tradition and fun. If you’re keen on trick-or-treating as your beloved cartoon character, your parents or grandparents may have already explored some splendid ideas.
Explore these charming relics of Halloweens gone by and let the nostalgia of vintage costumes sweep you away.
Have a look at our shop @ Vintage Halloween costumes